In November 2016, hundreds of people - clergy, laity and religious - from across the Archdiocese of Detroit gathered to discuss and discern the future of the Archdiocese and decide on the steps we need to take to turn us into a diocese of joyful missionary disciples.
The goal of Synod 16 was to make us into missionaries and to change the DNA of our archdiocese. To achieve these goals, the focus was on evangelization and moving from a maintenance-focused Church to a mission-focused Church.
Synod 16 was a catalyst for the movement and Archbishop’s letter, Unleash the Gospel. In this letter, Archbishop calls for change and implemented Guideposts to move us forward. It is the roadmap for the future of the Archdiocese.
Learn about the movement or read Archbishop’s letter at unleashthegospel.org
Timeline of the Unleash the Gospel Movement
- 2014-2015 - Archbishop calls for a Year of Prayer
- May 2015 - Archbishop announces his intentions to convoke a Synod
- Dec. 2015 - Year of Mercy begins, Holy Door opens at the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament
- April 2016 - Parishes participate in the Amazing Parish Conference
- April 2016 - Regional Gatherings begin throughout the Archdiocese to hear the concerns of the faithful
- Nov. 2016 - Synod 16 takes place
- June 2017 - Archbishop releases his letter, Unleash the Gospel.
- 2018 - Detroit Catholic, the new digital news platform for the Archdiocese launches
- 2018 - The Archdiocese launches its first podcast, Open Door Policy
- Nov. 2018 - The movement, Unleash the Gospel, kicks off with Unleash the Gospel Weekend
- 2019 - The Archdiocese launches its lifestyle magazine, Unleash the Gospel