Archbishop to celebrate Mass Sept 29 to mark success of capital initiative

Release Date: 9/26/13

Detroit Archbishop Allen Vigneron will be joined by hundreds of supporters of Changing Lives Together at a Mass of Thanksgiving at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 29, at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament in Detroit. Changing Lives Together is the capital initiative that has garnered financial contributions and efforts from 72,000 Catholics in the archdiocese’s 242 parishes. The initiative, which is ongoing, has raised nearly $109 million since it began taking pledges in 2010.

Changing Lives Together was launched with a stated goal of $135 million. By the end of the year, all parishes within the Archdiocese of Detroit will have started the campaign, which is conducted in numerous “waves.” Through Changing Lives Together, each parish keeps 70 percent of the proceeds raised up to its established goal – and 100 percent of the proceeds after that goal is reached. The remaining 30 percent, in addition to covering administrative costs of the campaign, funds three causes identified by the archbishop: 1) helping Catholic families with tuition assistance for Catholic schools, 2) training priests and lay ministers, and 3) strengthening the Church’s presence in the City of Detroit.

Parishes have used the funds raised for everything from building maintenance, to funding charities, to paying off debt, and even to expanding worship spaces and other facilities.

The Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament is located at 9844 Woodward Avenue in Detroit, between Chicago Boulevard and the Davison Freeway.

Note to members of the news media: You are invited to cover this event. We thank you in advance for being mindful of the solemnity and dignity of the liturgy; for refraining from using flash photography, sun guns or other forms of artificial lighting; and for heeding the directions of ushers and archdiocesan personnel. If you have any questions regarding coverage, please call the Archdiocese of Detroit’s Public Relations Office at (313) 237-5943.