The Department of Communications shares the following reminders from the Liturgical Committee and Human Resources regarding our current COVID-19 guidelines for liturgies and parish offices. In addition, we are sharing an update regarding school athletic events that was sent to principals yesterday afternoon. We ask that these updated guidelines be shared with the necessary parish and school staff.
With the recent increase in COVID-19 cases in Michigan, and the approaching winter season, we wish to remind clergy and parishes of the Archdiocese of Detroit’s current guidelines for liturgies:
- The Archdiocese of Detroit encourages Mass-goers, regardless of vaccination status, to wear face-coverings and to practice social distancing to reduce exposure to COVID-19
- The Archdiocese of Detroit strongly recommends that each pastor/In Solidum team should evaluate their location in the Archdiocese and implement the following protocols:
- Establish an area where social distancing is observed
- Strongly encourage masking and social distancing for all Mass-goers
- Require all who distribute Holy Communion to wear face-coverings and use hand sanitizer
- Hang signage indicating masking and social distancing are strongly encouraged
- Ensure that hand sanitizer is readily available at church entrances and near the sanctuary
- Evaluate space for the choir, and strongly recommend that those who are unvaccinated do not participate in the choir at this time
- The faithful are reminded that particular dispensations from the obligation to participate in Holy Mass remain in effect for people who are ill or who find themselves in other specific circumstances. More information is available at aod.org/emergencyresponse
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) issued a public health advisory last week reiterating its recommendation to use face masks.
In accordance with these recommendations, the Archdiocese of Detroit continues to recommend masking for individuals working in or visiting parishes, regardless of vaccination status. It is also recommended that individuals maintain at least three to six feet of physical distance, when possible.
Employees should refrain from reporting to work if they are ill, following the office protocol(s) for reporting an absence. Staff shall notify the pastor immediately of any possible or confirmed case of COVID-19, and parishes will continue to collaborate with their county health departments to establish contact tracing and to implement quarantines when deemed necessary by health officials.
The Department of Human Resources will keep you apprised of any new recommendations or orders.
Catholic School Athletics
A recent communication from the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) makes clear that schools must continue to follow orders from their local county health departments. The same communication also indicates that wearing face masks during active participation in some sporting competitions “could create safety hazards that have been identified by national medical organizations.” Therefore, the MHSAA recommends that schools and local county health departments consider creating exemptions to face mask requirements for students and officials in active participation in certain athletic events.
In accordance with this guidance from MHSAA, the attached guidelines have been developed for athletic events taking place at Catholic schools located in Oakland County and Wayne County, which are currently subject to local health department mask mandates. The guidelines are effective Monday, Nov. 29 and apply to all participants and attendees, both home and away.
Individual schools may choose to continue requiring masks during the course of play and during practice/training. Visiting schools must adhere to protocols established by host schools. These guidelines match current protocols for athletic events taking place in Archdiocesan schools outside Oakland and Wayne counties.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Vic Michaels at firstname.lastname@example.org or (313) 237-5960.