Resources for understanding, overcoming, and preventing pornography addiction
A widespread and highly destructive though often overlooked evil affecting modern life is pornography. It is a grave offense against God and His gifts to men and women. God created men and women "in His image" to share in His divine life. The Marriage and Family Ministry offers these suggested resources* to begin the journey toward regaining the mental, emotional, spiritual, and relationship healing and wholeness that God wants for you and your loved ones.
Web-based Catholic Resources
Integrity Restored was founded by Catholic therapist Peter Kleponis, PhD and is designed to help men, their wives and their families break free from the bonds of porn. You will find clear information on pornography use and addiction, pornography’s effects on people’s lives, and how to get help.
The My House Initiative from the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas is devoted to fostering the virtue of chastity by building awareness of the effects of pornography in society, offering support and healing for those harmed by it, and educating Catholics on what they can do to protect their families from its influence.
The Porn Effect was founded by Catholic speaker and apologist Matt Fradd to expose the reality behind the fantasy of pornography and to equip individuals to find freedom from it. There is a collection of articles, videos, podcasts by Catholic experts, and online forum dedicated to helping men and women break free from the vice of pornography.
RECLAIM Sexual Health is a professional and science-based Catholic online program designed to help individuals addicted to pornography and other unhealthy sexual behaviors, and the parents and spouses who have been impacted by their loved ones' unhealthy sexual behaviors. It was launched by Elizabeth Ministry International at the request of Bishop David Ricken from the Diocese of Green Bay.
Institute for Marital Healing web site is dedicated to strengthening Catholic marriages and families through online resources. There is a section specifically for internet pornography and other addictions as they present a major threat to marriage, youth and family life.
Chastity Project is an online ministry founded by national chastity speakers Jason and Crystalina Evert. The site offers a variety of resources to promote purity and to help young people launch chastity projects in their schools and churches to promote the good news of purity to their peers.
Filter Protection for You and Your Family
One of the most efficient steps you can take to prevent pornographic material in your home is to install a filter on all computers and devices.
Many filter systems are available which block offensive and pornographic content. These password protected filters can also send accountability reports, restrict search terms and put time limits on internet usage. There is no reason to allow objectionable content into your home.
The following are suggested filter resources for computers and electronic media:
Covenant Eyes is committed to helping individuals and families to protect themselves and loved ones from internet dangers and temptations by offering a variety of internet accountability and filter resources.
Net Nanny is a highly rated internet filtering technology that protects families and helps them manage their experiences with digital content against unwanted Internet content and inappropriate use. Parents, spouses, guardians, and educators are given visibility and control in managing a child’s online experience.
K9 Web Protection is a free Internet filter and parental control software for your home Windows or Mac computer. K9 puts YOU in control of the Internet so you can protect your kids. We provide tools for parents to control unwanted content and provide a safe Internet for your family.
Other Helpful Websites
- Fight the New Drug is an excellent web site offering multi-media educational resources of the destructiveness that pornography has on individuals and relationships using scientifically based facts and personal testimonials.
- Journey to Healing and Joy is a ministry developed to help wives of sex addicts, as well as their marriages. It offers online resources, support groups, and coaching for women whose husbands are addicted to pornography.
Self Help Groups
- Sexaholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength, and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover. It is a recovery program based on the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous and use of its Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions.
- S-Anon International is a program of recovery for those who have been affected by someone else's sexual behavior. S-Anon is based on the Twelve Steps and the Twelve Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous. The primary purpose of S-Anon is to recover from the effects upon us of another person’s sexaholism, and to help families and friends of sexaholics.
- Out of the Shadows: Understanding Sexual Addiction by Patrick Carnes, Ph.D.
Patrick J. Carnes is a nationally-known speaker on addiction and recovery issues. In this landmark book, Dr. Carnes discusses three levels of sexual addiction, describes the addiction cycle and its progression, and presents the faulty core beliefs of the addict and the coaddict and their healthy counterparts. This is the book to start with if you are first seeking to understand sexual addiction and recovery.
- In the Shadows of the Net: Breaking Free of Compulsive Online Sexual Behavior by Patrick Carnes, David Delmonico, and Elizabeth Griffin.
The authors explain how the anonymity of online access, the ability of people to use their computers in private, and the powerful rationalization that virtual interactions are not “real” can combine to entice people to spend hours online, sacrificing real relationships and increasing their sense of loneliness. They give many case histories of people who have engaged in compulsive online sexual behavior, the damage they have caused in their lives, and the process that they have used to break free of their compulsive behavior.
- Shattered Vows by Debra Laaser
Infidelity doesn’t have to ruin your life—or your marriage. If you have been devastated by your husband’s sexual betrayal—whether an isolated incident or a long-term pattern of addiction—you need to know you don’t have to live as a victim. This sensitive guide provides practical tools to help you make wise and empowering decisions, emotional tools to develop greater intimacy in your life, and spiritual tools to transform your suffering.
Three part article series on the U.S. Church’s efforts to combat the pornography epidemic:
* The resources presented are not specifically endorsed by the Archdiocese of Detroit.
- USCCB Pornography United States Conference of Catholic Bishops web site on pornography that has three sets of audio talks by experts to better understand the destructiveness of pornography and how to combat it.
- Patrick Trueman, President and CEO of Morality in the Media
"The Pornography Pandemic: A Message to Catholics"
Part One | Part Two
- Bruce and Jeanne Hanneman, Founders of Elizabeth Ministry International
"Reclaim Sexual Health - Combining Science and Spirituality to Overcome Pornography"
Part One | Part Two
- Peter C. Kleponis, Ph.D., LPC, NCC
"Fighting Porn in Our Culture...and Winning!"
Part One | Part Two
- Crossing the Goal Ministries Crossing the Goal Ministries (CTG) was created as an outreach ministry to men concerning their spiritual well-being, by providing resources, adapted solely for men that would challenge them to become spiritually fit as husbands, fathers, and disciples of Jesus Christ. They have created Crossing the Goal, a television show on EWTN Global Catholic Network that uses a sports show format to encourage men to get into spiritual shape.
- The Porn Trap and Road Back From Porn are back to back Crossing the Goal televisionepisodes featuring special guest Peter C. Kleponis, Ph.D., Catholic therapist who specializes in pornography addiction. In a straight forward fashion Dr. Kleponis and the panel of hosts discusses the epidemic problem of pornography, particularly with men, the devastation that it brings to marriages and families, and how to begin the road back to sexual purity with others and God’s help. An excellent, hold nothing back, talk by men for men.
- The Women of Grace The Women of Grace television program discusses contemporary issues from a Catholic perspective and affirms women in their dignity as daughters of God and their gift of authentic femininity.
- Porn and Its Addictive Reality Peter C. Kleponis, Ph.D., LPC, NCC discusses from a Catholic understanding: What makes porn so highly addictive? What are its devastating effects on the user? On the user’s view of the human person? On his marriage? His job? His soul?
- The Addiction of Our Time Peter C. Kleponis, Ph.D., LPC, NCC discusses how the insidious effect of pornographic use ruins careers, marriages, self-worth, and lives, and why there is hope for the addict and his family.