- Sept. 21 - Killings in Dearborn Heights: Respecting Family/Community Privacy »
- Published Wednesday, Sep. 21, 2016
- The deaths of four family children and serious injury to their mother involve members of the St. Sebastian Parish/School community in Dearborn Heights. On behalf of the parish, the Archdiocese of Detroit asks reporters, photographers, and videographers to respect the privacy of school parents and students as they deal with this tragic news. Please allow them to cope personally and privately with this situation by staying off parish property and not pursuing individuals for interviews, pictures, or video. We thank you for this consideration amid your coverage of this tragic matter.
- Archdiocese to Host Mass at Cathedral Sept 4 to Mark Canonization of Mother Teresa »
- Published Thursday, Sep. 1, 2016
- To celebrate the canonization of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Detroit Archbishop Allen Vigneron will lead a Mass at 11 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 4, at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament. All are welcome to attend the Mass. The service in Detroit will follow a Mass led by Pope Francis at the Basilica of St. Peter at the Vatican at 4 a.m. Eastern on Sept. 4.
- Day of Prayer for Peace in Our Communities »
- Published Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2016
- Following a summer of civil unrest and acts of violence in minority communities and against law enforcement officers in many parts of the nation, the Archdiocese of Detroit is observing a Day of Prayer for Peace in Our Communities. An outdoor prayer vigil will be held from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at St. Augustine and St. Monica Church, 5141 Seminole Street in Detroit. The prayer vigil will be led by St. Augustine and St. Monica pastor Monsignor Daniel Trapp. It will is part of a series of prayer events called “Take Back the Night,” which already have taken place throughout the city in attempts to bring communities together peacefully under fellowship in Christ.
- CTND to air coverage of Knights of Columbus Supreme Convention »
- Published Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2016
Next week, the Catholic Television Network of Detroit (CTND) will air CatholicTV's coverage of the 134th Supreme Convention of the Knights of Columbus in Toronto. The convention takes place from Tuesday, Aug. 2
- Catholic Archbishop touched by condolences from local Imams »
- Published Monday, Aug. 1, 2016
- DETROIT — Detroit Archbishop Allen Vigneron was moved this week to have received correspondences from local Imams on behalf of Michigan Muslims, expressing condolences for the death of Catholic priest Father Jacques Hamel, who was killed by terrorists in Normandy, France, on July 26.
- Regarding Jude Ellinghausen »
- Published Friday, Jul. 22, 2016
- Jude Ellinghausen voluntarily petitioned the Vatican (the Holy See) for laicization. It was granted and took effect June 24, 2016. Jude Ellinghausen is no longer considered a priest.
- Regarding the funeral service for Officer Michael Krol »
- Published Monday, Jul. 18, 2016
- The funeral Mass for Officer Michael Krol, the former Wayne County Sheriff officer who was killed in an attack on law enforcement officials in Dallas this month, will be at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, July 19, at St. Robert Bellarmine Church, 17101 West Chicago in Redford Township. St. Robert Bellarmine pastor Fr. Richard Leliaert will preside.
- Archbishop Vigneron statement on violence in Louisiana Minnesota and Texas »
- Published Friday, Jul. 8, 2016
- The Archdiocese of Detroit Communications Department relays the following comment from Archbishop Allen H. Vigneron in response to the shootings which took the lives of civilians in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Falcon Heights, Minnesota, and of police officers in Dallas, Texas:
"In the face of the violence of these days, we turn to the Lord Jesus, the Prince of Peace. Let us implore his mercy for the healing of our wounds and the triumph of peace and justice."
The Most Reverend Allen H. Vigneron
Archbishop of Detroit
- Regarding the funeral service for Gordie Howe »
- Published Tuesday, Jun. 14, 2016
- The funeral service for Gordie Howe will take place at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, June 15 at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, 9844 Woodward Avenue in Detroit. Cathedral rector Father J.J. Mech will preside at the service.
- Prayer service for victims of violence in Florida »
- Published Sunday, Jun. 12, 2016
In response to the senseless violence that took the lives of dozens of individuals in Florida over Saturday night, the Archdiocese of Detroit will hold a prayer service at noon on Monday, June 13, at St. Aloysius Church, 1234 Washington Boulevard in De