- Two Auxiliary Bishops Named for Archdiocese of Detroit »
- Published Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2016
- Pope Francis has named two local priests, Father Gerard W. Battersby and Father Robert J. Fisher, to be auxiliary bishops for the Archdiocese of Detroit.
- Detroit Archbishop to host prayer service at 7 pm on Monday for Christians in the Middle East »
- Published Monday, Nov. 21, 2016
Detroit Archbishop Allen H. Vigneron at 7 p.m. on Monday evening, Nov. 21, will host Eastern-rite Catholics for a prayer vigil at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, for the intentions of Christians in the Middle East. All are welcom
- Archdiocese set to hold historic Synod 16 downtown Nov 18 20 »
- Published Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2016
- The Archdiocese of Detroit this month will be holding its first Synod since 1969. The meeting will take place from Nov. 18-20 at St. Aloysius Church and the Westin Book Cadillac Hotel in downtown Detroit. An archdiocesan Synod in the Catholic Church is a gathering of select Catholics leaders and members to inform and advise the archbishop on an important matter of faith. It is intended to be a transformative event that leads to a renewal of local Church life. This is the Archdiocese of Detroit’s 11th Synod since its founding as a diocese in 1833.
- Archdiocese to hold Vigil of Our Lady of Guadalupe Dec. 09 »
- Published Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016
The Vigil of Our Lady of Gudalupe. Thursday, Dec. 9, 2014 at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament; 9844 Woodward Ave. Detroit, MI 48202
- Bishop Michael Byrnes named Coadjutor Archbishop of Agana in US Territory of Guam »
- Published Monday, Oct. 31, 2016
- Bishop Michael J. Byrnes, who has been serving as a regional bishop in the Archdiocese of Detroit since his ordination as a bishop in May 2011, today was named by Pope Francis to be the Coadjutor Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Agana, the archdiocese in the U.S. territory of Guam in the South Pacific.
- Archdioceses annual Mass for Commerce this Wednesday morning Oct 19 »
- Published Monday, Oct. 17, 2016
Business leaders from throughout the Metro Area will gather to celebrate the 23rd Annual Mass for Commerce, a liturgy celebrated for the business and professional community, on Wednesday, October 19, at 8:00 am at Sacred Heart Major Seminary, 2701 Chicago Boulevard in Detroit.
- Historic St Joseph church now Oratory under care of religious community »
- Published Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2016
- Detroit Archbishop Allen Vigneron has made official the creation of a new Catholic parish at St. Joseph Church in downtown Detroit under the pastoral care of the Chicago-based religious community Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest. As of Oct. 7, the site and parish are known as St. Joseph Oratory. The religious community, known for its dedication to the Extraordinary Form of Mass — commonly known as the Traditional Latin Mass or Tridentine Mass — and other Catholic Sacraments, has fostered active parish communities at a dozen other churches across the United States.
- Archbishop Vigneron on Archbishop Joseph Tobin being named a Cardinal by Pope Francis »
- Published Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016
Today, Pope Francis announced that Indianapolis Archbishop Joseph Tobin, CSsR — a native of Detroit who as a priest of the
- Oct. 7 - Archbishop Vigneron to celebrate landmark Mass for Pardon »
- Published Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016
- Detroit Archbishop Allen Vigneron will celebrate the Archdiocese of Detroit’s first-ever Mass for Pardon at 7 p.m., Friday, Oct. 7, at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament. The Mass for Pardon is a penitential act, asking for God’s forgiveness for the sins of the Catholic community as a whole over the generations. Such sins include institutional racism, clergy sex abuse and neglect toward helping the poor and spreading the Gospel.
- Sept 22 Regarding the funeral service for Officer Kenneth Steil »
- Published Thursday, Sep. 22, 2016
- A funeral service for Officer Kenneth Steil, the 17-year veteran of the Detroit Police Department who died after being hospitalized with a gunshot wound sustained in duty, will be at 11 a.m. Friday, Sept. 23, at St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church, 22412 Overlake in St. Clair Shores.