- Reverend Paul Ballien »
- Published Monday, Mar. 5, 2018
- Reverend Paul Ballien has been appointed Pastor of St. John Neumann Parish, Canton, effective July 1.
- Regarding Father Edmund Borycz »
- Published Thursday, Jan. 11, 2018
- The Archdiocesan Communications Department reports the death of Father Edmund Borycz, 76. He died from natural causes on January 8, 2018.
- Death of Cardinal Law Prompts Advisory from the Archdiocese of Detroit »
- Published Thursday, Dec. 21, 2017
The news about Cardinal Bernard Law’s death provides the Archdiocese of Detroit with an opportunity to again state its commitment to those victims and their families who have been impacted by the sexual abuse of minors by members of the Catholic clergy and/or Church personnel. The Archdiocesan website (aod.org) along with every print edition of The Michigan Catholic newspaper publish this contact information on reporting sexual abuse; parishes are encouraged to publish it in their weekly bulletins:
- Oct. 7 - Archbishop Vigneron to celebrate landmark Mass for Pardon »
- Published Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016
- Detroit Archbishop Allen Vigneron will celebrate the Archdiocese of Detroit’s first-ever Mass for Pardon at 7 p.m., Friday, Oct. 7, at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament. The Mass for Pardon is a penitential act, asking for God’s forgiveness for the sins of the Catholic community as a whole over the generations. Such sins include institutional racism, clergy sex abuse and neglect toward helping the poor and spreading the Gospel.
- Regarding Jude Ellinghausen »
- Published Friday, Jul. 22, 2016
- Jude Ellinghausen voluntarily petitioned the Vatican (the Holy See) for laicization. It was granted and took effect June 24, 2016. Jude Ellinghausen is no longer considered a priest.
- Regarding Fr Ken Kaucheck and his involvement with Gianna House »
- Published Monday, Apr. 18, 2016
Father Kenneth Kaucheck was barred from public ministry by the Archdiocese of Detroit in April 2009. At that time, the Archdiocesan Review Board had deemed substantive an allegation of sexual misconduct with a person under the age of 18 involving Fr. Kaucheck, dating back to the early years of his ministry in the Archdiocese.
The Archdiocese was aware of Father Kaucheck’s recent service as development director and ex-officio board member of Gianna House, an Eastpointe-based ministry for pregnant teenagers which opened in 2015. Gianna House is not owned, operated or officially affiliated with the Archdiocese of Detroit.
- Regarding Richard Lauinger »
- Published Monday, Mar. 28, 2016
- Richard R. Lauinger, 85. Ordained in 1956; laicized in 1975. Allegations of sexual abuse of minors while in ministry have been brought forward to the Archdiocesan Board of Review, considered, and found to be credible.
- Regarding Father David West »
- Published Thursday, Dec. 3, 2015
- Father David F. West. (1938-2004). Ordained in 1964. Years after his death, an allegation of sexual abuse of a minor was brought forward to the Archdiocesan Board of Review, considered, and was found to be credible.
- Regarding Fr James Roth OSFS »
- Published Wednesday, Mar. 25, 2015
The Toledo-Detroit Province of the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales (OSFS) has deemed credible a complaint of sexual misconduct with a minor by one of the religious order’s priests, Fr. James Roth (1953-2015). From 1995-2004, during his time as a teacher, guidance counselor, and administrator at St. Francis de Sales High School in Toledo, Ohio, Fr. Roth also helped with the weekend Mass and sacramental schedule at St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception Church in Monroe, Michigan. Other assignments included schools in Utah and Ontario, Canada. Fr. Roth died February 11, 2015.
- Regarding Fr. Thomas J. Cain… »
- Published Monday, Oct. 27, 2014
- Father Thomas J. Cain. (1919-1984). Ordained in 1945. Decades after his death, allegations of sexual abuse of a minor were brought forward to the Archdiocesan Board of Review, considered, and are believed to be credible.