SHMS Expansion Q&A
DETROIT -- Sacred Heart Major Seminary will inaugurate its renovation of 2½ acres of vacant property next to its urban campus this afternoon at 3 p.m. Civic and local church leaders are expected as Archbishop Allen Vigneron formally blesses the property. The ceremony will be outdoors on Chicago Boulevard just west of the seminary.
The property acquisition expands the footprint of the seminary campus, providing room to increase parking, enhance green space, and enable future campus development. The acquisition manifests the Archdiocese of Detroit’s long commitment to the City of Detroit. By clearing the area of blighted structures, the investment contributes to the safety of the 40-acre campus, as well as the surrounding west side neighborhood.
As first announced a year ago, the expansion involves property lots just across Lawton Street bounded by Chicago Boulevard to the north and Joy Road to the south. Demolition of the vacant apartment building on the west side of Lawton is scheduled to begin Monday, April 24. A rendering of the planned improvements is available here. Sacred Heart Major Seminary is on the western border of Detroit’s Boston-Edison Historic District.
As part of the renovation, the main entrance to Sacred Heart Major Seminary will be reoriented to conform to the original campus site plan, moving from Linwood Avenue to Chicago Boulevard.
The Detroit archdiocese founded the seminary in 1919. It currently has 107 men in residence from Michigan as well as national and international dioceses preparing for the priesthood, and a lay (non-clergy) student body of 380 studying theology and parish-based ministry.
Members of the media are invited to cover this event. More information is available care of the Institutional Advancement Office at 313.596.7421 | firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Archdiocesan Communications at 313.237.5943 | PRoffice@aod.org.