How can I gain a Plenary Indulgence for the Year of Faith?
Pope Benedict XVI will grant the faithful a Plenary indulgence for the occasion of the Year of Faith. The indulgence will be valid from the opening of the Year ~ October 11th, 2012 until its end ~ November 24th, 2013. The plenary indulgence may be obtained by the faithful who are truly penitent:
- Each time they attend at least three sermons during Holy Missions, or at least three lessons on the Acts of the Council or articles of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, in church or any other suitable location
- Each time they visit, in the course of a pilgrimage, a papal basilica, a Christian catacomb, a cathedral church or a holy site designated by the local ordinary for the Year of Faith…and there participate in a sacred celebration, or at least remain for a time in prayer and pious meditation, concluding with the prescribed prayers
- Each time that, on the days designated by the local ordinary for the Year of Faith…in any sacred place, they participate in a solemn celebration of the Eucharist or the Liturgy of the Hours, adding the Profession of Faith in any legitimate form
- On any day they chose, during the Year of Faith, if they make a pious visit to the baptistery or other place in which they received the Sacrament of Baptism, and there renew their baptismal promises in any legitimate form
What has to be done to gain an indulgence?
- In order to be capable of gaining an indulgence one must be baptized, not excommunicated, and in the state of grace at least at the completion of the prescribed works.
- To gain a plenary indulgence, in addition to excluding all attachment to sin, even venial sin, it is necessary to fulfill the following three conditions:
a. sacramental confession
b. Eucharistic Communion
c. prayer for the intention of the Holy Father [one Our Father, one Hail Mary, and the Creed]