Effective April 23, 2009, Fr. Kenneth Kaucheck, 62, has resigned as pastor of St. Mary Parish, Royal Oak, and pastor of St. James Parish, Ferndale. He has been placed on an administrative leave of absence and is currently restricted from any public ministry.
The Archdiocesan Review Board has deemed substantive an allegation of sexual misconduct with a person under the age of 18 involving Fr. Kaucheck dating back to the early years of his ministry in the Detroit archdiocese.
Information about the allegation was received in January by the archdiocese and immediately shared with civil authorities.
Subsequently, the Archdiocesan Review Board commissioned an independent investigation that found the complaint to be of sufficient substance to require the placement of a temporary restriction on Fr. Kaucheck's service as a priest. A new pastor for St. Mary and St. James parishes has been appointed and will be announced at weekend liturgies. Beteween now and this summer, Fr. John Hall, a senior (retired) priest, will serve as administrator.
To inform the archdiocese of complaints involving sexual abuse of minors by clergy or church personnel and/or to speak to the Victim Assistance Coordinator contact: 866-343-8055.
Education: Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit; St. John Provincial Seminary, Plymouth; St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore; Gregorian University, Rome
Degrees: Doctorate in Ministry; Doctorate in Canon Law
- 1976: Ordained
- 1976: Associate Pastor, Guardian Angels Parish, Clawson
- 1977: Associate Pastor, Sacred Heart Parish, Dearborn
- 1980: Associate Pastor, Christ the King Parish, Detroit
- 1980: Campus Minister, Gabriel Richard Center, Dearborn
- 1982: Pastor, Epiphany Parish, Detroit
- 1983: Auditor in Annulment Cases, Archdiocesan Metropolitan (Marriage) Tribunal
- 1992: Associate Pastor, St. Anastasia Parish, Troy; Grievance Clerk, Tribunal
- 1996: Pastor, St. Anastasia Parish, Troy
- 2004: Pastor, Our Lady Star of the Sea Parish, Grosse Pointe Woods
- 2006: Temporary Administrator, Holy Family, Detroit
- 2008: Pastor, St. Mary Parish, Royal Oak and St. James Parish, Ferndale
- 2009: Administrative Leave of Absence